Friday 26 May 2017

7 Things People with an Iron Deficiency Want You to Know

Iron deficiencies, anaemia, low B12 levels...I get that it's a complicated world for those on the outside looking in. I also get that iron deficiencies are often labelled as a wishy-washy complaint, most notably used by 13 year olds to get out of P.E.

The truth is, for those of us with an iron deficiency, the symptoms are all too real and they can really mess with our day to day lives in a way that people who don't understand iron deficiencies are totally unaware of.



So, if have a loved one who suffers from low iron, these are the things they want you to know...

1. We're not just lazy
Fatigue is one of the most common symptoms of iron deficiency, but it's also one of the most pathetic-sounding. "Sorry, I can't come in to work today, I'm too tired" hardly sounds valid, but there have been days when I've woken up, brushed my teeth and returned immediately to bed for half an hour to get over the enormous burden of lifting my toothbrush.


2. Don't draw attention to the fact that we're obviously moulting
It seems that every time I brush my hair, run my fingers through it or even come up against a light breeze I shed a small handful of hair. It's a miracle I'm not entirely bald. But, while we may leave behind mounds of hair in the drain, the sink, the bed and anywhere we spend more than a few minutes, don't bring it up. Losing your hair is bad enough without people moaning about the grimy state of your hairbrush all the time.


3. Brain fog is real
If we ever stare at you with a bizarre, glazed expression, don't panic. The fog had descended. We might forget names, conversations, basic vocabulary or how to string a sentence together. Sometimes I start to speak so slowly that by the time I get to the end of my sentence I've forgotten what it started with. Be patient and try to understand our desire for easy-viewing reality TV trash on these days.


4. We're pale to the point of transparency
My skin tends to fluctuate between ghostly white and an alarming grey colour, neither of which are readily available as a foundation shade. Add to that the purple under-eye bags and the white lips and you'd be right in saying we tend to look like something that should be lurking in the shadows of Transylvania. Cruel, but right. Pass the bronzer!



5. We fall over...a lot
Those of us with low levels of B12 tend to be unsteady on our feet. Walking into doors, tables and walls as well as falling over nothing in particular is just part and parcel of our daily lives. I'm not suggesting you baby-proof the house, but if you're in the market for new furniture, rounded edges couldn't hurt.


6. Don't tell us to stop fidgeting
Restless leg syndrome and iron deficiencies go hand in hand. Is it weird that someone who needs to take a nap after walking from the living room to the kitchen feels the need to use up all their precious energy with incessant fidgeting? Of course. But, unfortunately, it is what it is.


7. We can get a little touchy sometimes, okay?
Is it any surprise that what with the extreme fatigue, brain fog, hair loss and physical resemblance to vampire-like creatures we get a little moody every now and then? Plus low levels of iron can cause mood swings and spikes in anxiety levels so it really does mean the world to us when, rather than complaining about the amount of time we spend napping or the trail of hair we've left around the house, you give us a cuddle and tell us everything's going to be ok.

And since chocolate fixes all ailments, if all else fails, please feel free to buy us a big bar of Dairy Milk. Just saying!

2 comments:

  1. I love this blog post so much!definitely explains my life��

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I;m glad glad you liked it. You are definitely not alone. The struggles are real!

      Delete

Anyone up for a chat? I'd love to hear your comments!