Saturday 31 December 2016

My 2016: I Got Old, Made some Bizarre Life Choices and Drank Tequila.

Congratulations world! We made it through the madness that was 2016! We survived a year in which Britain left the EU, Harambe the gorilla was killed in cold blood, and Donald Trump was voted president of the United States. It all kind of feels like a bad (and totally ridiculous) dream, doesn't it?

While 2016 might not have been the best year for the world as a whole, on a personal level I had a pretty good year. So, as is traditional, I'm going to sum up my entire year in a nice bite-sized blog post for you!





What was your favourite memory of 2016?
The highlight of my year was my trip to Mexico. Every second of it (apart from the long haul flight on a plane that did not serve Jack Daniels) was perfect. From the lazy days spent laying next to the pool, dozing in the sunshine and sipping on unlimited mango margaritas to zip-lining through the tree-tops, partying on a pirate ship and exploring an ancient Mayan city, it was simply amazing.


Oh, what I wouldn't give to be back there now, tequila shot in one hand, fajita in the other!

What was your most embarrassing moment?

I had a lot of spectacular falls this year. I feel like I've spent more time on the ground than I have on my feet!

What were you most proud of completing?
Middlemarch! I love a nineteenth century provincial novel as much as the next person, but I didn't exactly fly through its 700 odd pages. I actually started it at the very end of 2015 and didn't get to the end until April this year. Yes, it was a literary masterpiece, but I was glad to see the back of it all the same.

What was the biggest risk you took?

Earlier this year, without warning (to my employers or myself) I quit my job. I had nothing lined up except a vague idea that maybe I wanted to be a teacher, but I couldn't stand the thought of staying in a job I had no passion for any longer.

It was a huge risk, but here I am six months later, midway through my PGCE. And, yes, I may have bags under my eyes and a three foot high stack of marking looming over me, but I also have a smile on my face! 

What was your worst habit this year?

I've been sucked into the social media void! I've wasted far too much time this year Facebook-stalking people I haven't spoken to in ten years, watching low-quality videos of dancing cats, and scanning endless reams of tweets.

What do you wish you had done more of?

I wish I'd spent more time doing things I love. Just little things like going for a walk on the beach, going to yoga, or reading a good book.

What do you wish you had done less of?
I wish I'd spent less time worrying about things. I'm a natural born worrier. I can't help it. But I wasted a lot of time this year obsessing about really insignificant ( and sometimes bizarre) things. That's something I really need to work on next year!

Have you positively influenced a child this year?
If I haven't, I should probably re-think this career choice.

Did you suffer any illness or injury?
This year I was diagnosed with anaemia...again. It's like a bad penny that I just can't seem to get rid of! Cue a lot of time spent napping during the day, passing out on public transport, and struggling to lift the weight of my mug of tea. Oh, and don't forgot my hair falling out by the handful! Yeah, good times all round.

What was your favourite book?

I think my favourite book this year was Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier. It's an intriguing read with a fantastic twist and I really enjoyed the mysterious, oppressive atmosphere of the novel. If you haven't read it, put it on your list!

What was your favourite film?
I wasn't expecting to, but I really enjoyed Trolls. Singing, dancing mystical creatures who spread joy and glitter wherever they go? What's not to love?

Describe your style for 2016 in one word.
Plaid.

How old did you turn on your birthday and how did you celebrate?
This year I turned 25 and, for the first time in a quarter of a century, I did my best to hide from my birthday rather than celebrate it. I mean, a quarter of a century?! It's no wonder I so desperately tried to hide under my bed covers and pretend it wasn't happening!


  In the end, I decided to face up to turning 25 and I went for a meal with my family at my favourite restaurant, Las Iguanas. And so I turned 25 with a tequila shot in one hand and a fajita in the other. Not quite Mexico, but better than nothing.

How will you be spending New Year’s?
I'll be spending the evening at a family party. No doubt I'll end up discussing Disney movies with the kids and eating my weight in buffet food. This is my last chance to stuff my face before my 2017 diet begins!

What are your New Year’s Resolutions for 2017?
1. Lose all the weight I've put on over the Christmas period i.e. a lot
2. Read 12 more books from the BBC Good Reads List
3. Eat five portions of fruit and veg a day
4. Clear out the attic

What quote sums up your 2017?
"To be fair, I think a dead gorilla would probably make a better president than Donald Trump."

2 comments:

  1. Hi Aimee! I just love Your videos and blog. Can You do a car tour? I drive the same one but it's pretty rare car from where i lived. Greetings from Poland. Yours Oddball:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy I found your blog!! I love it almost as much as I love your videos! 💜

    ReplyDelete

Anyone up for a chat? I'd love to hear your comments!