Monday 23 March 2015

"Stop Comparing this to Toddlers and Tiaras!": Cheer Competition

This morning I woke up aching all over and tinged orange, which can only mean one thing. We had another cheer competition this weekend. We hauled our oversized makeup bags and sparkly bows all the way back to the Birmingham NEC, this time for Legacy Dream Extreme.

I haven't changed much in 20 years apparently
As per usual, the bus became some kind of frantic beauty salon on wheels, with teasing combs, eyeliner and cans of hairspray flying left, right and centre. By some miracle we managed to get there without anyone blinding themselves with a mascara wand, but the stress of having to apply winged eyeliner whilst on a moving vehicle threatened to ruin team morale for the day.

This time we had to wear our hair in giant, back-combed ponytails. Personally I hate wearing my hair up in any way, shape or form because it exposes by ridiculous Dumbo ears, but I'm a sucker for huge hair so I ended up loving it. The only issue I had with it was that my ponytail wanted to curve around the sides of my face, which made me look disturbingly like I did when I was three years old and my mother thought I'd look cute with a bob.

The competition itself went brilliantly. Every stunt hit, there were only two minor wobbles and this time I didn't feel the overwhelming urge to run off the mat during the pyramid to be violently sick. A win all round, I would say. We weren't even phased by our music cutting out towards the end of the routine.

As my friend, Helen, pointed out after we had finished performing, "You just have to keep going."
"Oh yes!" I agreed. "I've seen enough episodes of Toddlers and Tiaras to know that no matter what happens (if your musics cuts out, if you fall over, anything) you just keep going."
"I wish you would stop comparing this competition to Toddlers and Tiaras." Said Helen.
"There are rhinestones and big hair. It's pretty much the same thing." I insisted.

And then came the awards ceremony (or, as I kept accidentally referring to it all day long, crowning). I loved the way Legacy set it up. All the teams from all the divisions were called out one by one and we all sat on the mat. It was like a sea of sparkly, oversized bows! Then, in true American fashion, (because Legacy is run by Americans) the presentation of prizes for each division was accompanied by the cheesiest of music, presumably to create suspense. Naturally, I loved it, as I do all things cheesy and over the top.

And we came fourth! Not last! Sure, some teams were hoping for first or second, but for us not coming dead last meant we had significantly improved since last time. After all, half the team is new, most of them have never cheered before and Future Cheer last month was the first time a lot of us had ever even stepped foot in a cheer competition. So fourth place was a major win for us!

But the day wasn't over. First we all had to commit to the odious task of brushing all the back-combing and hairspray out of our hair (which I can confirm was both painful and exhausting) and then we headed back to the Holiday Inn for the night. And can we pause here to clarify that a three-quarter-sized bed is not meant to fit two people, especially when it's not actually a bed, but a sofa bed?

That night some of us went out for a meal, some of us stayed in the hotel and ordered pizza, and some of us drank what I can only assume was an excessive amount of alcohol. The next morning when the party-goers climbed onto the bus I was glad I'd opted for nothing more than a few glasses of wine with my cheesy chicken. Hangovers are bad enough without adding a three and a half hour bus journey into the mix.

So our weekend went spectacularly well! Our team performed better than we ever have before, came away with a fourth place trophy, and I got to stuff my face with chocolate in the hotel room. I don't think I could have asked for anything more.

For more cheer competition craziness, you can watch my Cheer Vlog here:


8 comments:

  1. Oh my I love this! I would to have been there watching you guys! Go you guys fourth place next step third ;) you all looked great too although do t fancy brushing all that out!! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I was pretty amazed we got fourth considering last month we were last. Onwards and upwards! Oh, you have no idea how painful it was brushing all the gunk out. My scalp hurt for the rest of the evening lol x

      Delete
  2. Ahh gosh I've always been a little tempted to do cheer but too terrified to throw myself into something completely new! I love your hair and make up, and honestly, how did you do winged eye liner so well in a moving vehicle?! I can't do it that well sat in my room!

    Congratulations on coming fourth, I hope you and your team keep improving and enjoying yourselves!

    missisgoode.blogspot.co.uk
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! :) You should give it a go! I mean, I have no co-ordination at all and I've come to accept that, at my age, I am never going to be a human pretzel, but it's so much fun.
      The best winged eyeliner tip you will ever hear is to use cello-tape to get a clean edge. Then you can do it on a bus, in a car, on a camel traversing a ravine...anywhere!
      xx

      Delete
  3. Well done!! What other comps are you at this season?xo

    http://justinependrill.blogspot.co.uk/?m=1

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Next we're going to Cheer Sport Wales in Newport. At last, a competition that's less than three hours away! :)

      Delete
  4. Congratulations Aimee!! That's so exciting!! You are only going to keep getting better and better. Looking forward to hearing about your next competition!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Riley! I'm so excited for the next one!

      Delete

Anyone up for a chat? I'd love to hear your comments!