Tuesday 10 February 2015

My Cheer Competition Check-List (Everything but the Kitchen Sink)

This weekend I'm going to my first ever cheer competition! I have a whole lot of feelings, but I'm not entirely sure which one I'm feeling most. Excited? Nervous? Achy from our last training session?

It's worth mentioning that Sunday's training session was our last chance to practise before the competition and we did more full-outs than I thought my body was physically capable of. (For those of you who aren't down with the lingo, a full-out is when you run through your routine, complete with every jump, every stunt and every tumble...full out.) It was like being hit in the face with a brick. 

My arms are still hurting and I have a foot-shaped bruise on my right boob.

As the weekend draws closer, I am being plagued by an array of anxieties. What if I forget the dance? What count does that clap happen on? What if I get so overwhelmed by the stress that when I step onto the mat I blank out and forget everything...not just the routine, but everything like who I am and where I live? What if I forget to pack my lipstick?!

To alleviate some of the stress I've drafted up a check-list. I've tried to think up every possible scenario to ensure I'm prepared for anything from migraines to smudged mascara and anything else you could think of, short of a tsunami. 

So I thought I'd share it with you guys in case any of you are going to your first competition too or in case you all just wanted to mock my obsessive compulsive need to pack everything.

Aimee's Cheer Checklist

Clothing:

Competition T-shirt (our uniforms aren't ready yet)
Nike pros
Trainers
Jogging bottoms
T-shirt to wear on the bus (in case of spillage)
Hoodie
Non-cheer shoes
Sports bra
White ankle socks
Spare sports bra
Spare white ankle socks
Spare pants (look, you never know)

Cosmetics:

  • Hairspray
  • Volumizing powder
  • Hair gel (I don't even use gel, but seriously, you never know)
  • Paddle brush
  • Tangle Teezer 
  • Comb
  • Teasing comb
  • Hair elastics
  • Hair clips 
  • Bobby pins (x 1million)
  • Make-up (including brushes, eyelash glue, setting spray etc)
  • Lip balm
  • Make-up wipes
  • Cotton buds
  • Cotton balls
  • Moisturiser 
  • That grungy hair-band I use to hold back my hair while I put my make-up on 
  • Deodorant

Miscellaneous Essentials:

  • Money
  • Camera
  • Phone
  • Chargers 
  • Water
  • Food
  • Some form of sugary snack for a pre-competition boost
  • Ipod
  • Paper and pen (who knows what you might be inspired to write down?)
  • Umbrella (I refuse to let the rain ruin my poof)

Emergency Items:

  • Wrist/ ankle straps
  • Plasters
  • Beroca
  • Deep Heat
  • Sticky tape
  • Scissors
  • Tissues
  • Painkillers 
  • Prescription tablets 
  • Spare contact lenses
  • Glasses
  • Tweezers
  • Stain remover pen
  • Emergency tampons (wouldn't that be the worst timing ever?)


I'm pretty sure that covers everything, but if anyone can think of anything I'm missing please let me know!

Now that I've got everything set out in writing, I feel a lot less stressed. At least I know the recurring nightmare about me having to perform in my pants because I've forgotten my shorts won't come true.

My next concern is working out how to get my hair into one of those cheer poofs.

 

It's going to take some practise...

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone up for a chat? I'd love to hear your comments!