Friday 4 October 2013

A Very Merry Unbirthday: DIY Alice in Wonderland Themed Party

So my Alice in Wonderland themed birthday party was over a month ago now (although it feels like a lot longer than that when I think about all the things that have happened since then), but this is the first moment I've had to sit down, go through all the pictures, and try to make a blog post out of it. They say a picture is worth a thousand words so I'm going to shut up for once and just let you take a look at some of the photographs.

I pulled all of this together on a pretty small budget. I gathered together a collection of tea cups and interesting-looking bottles from local charity shops to act as decorations and for people to drink out of.

The other decorations were equally cheap and effective. I picked up some artificial flowers for a few pounds and used some googly eyes and red paint to quickly and easily transform them to match the theme. A pack of cards I bought for £1 made a whole host of adorable decorations including my house of cards, little card guardsmen and playing card bunting and I still had more than enough to scatter here and there throughout the room.


I made the other decorations, including the food signs by printing out Alice in Wonderland pictures and quotes from the internet and glueing them together with a little bit of imagination. The best thing about the Alice in Wonderland theme is that it's meant to look a little bizarre and hectic so nothing needs to be perfect or precise.


When my mother asked me what I was actually aiming for when I started collecting old clocks and flamingos back in August, I simply told her, "I want the entire party to be like an opium trip." I'm not entirely sure she shared in my vision...



Pretty much all of the decorations were handmade. I sustained a lot of glue gun related injuries. The cupcakes I must attribute to my friend Beth, who was met at the train station after an arduous journey down from North Wales, by me saying, "I need you to help me make cupcakes...as in, I need you to make me me some cupcakes."






Looking back I wish I'd taken more photos of all the different strange and wonderful aspects of that night. But what can I say? I was too busy drinking Woo Woos and hitting people with a Disney princess balloon, as is the obvious behaviour of a girl at her 22nd birthday party. 



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Anyone up for a chat? I'd love to hear your comments!